Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Fun {How to} Sushi Night

I was all ready for my sushi learning night! I know it says master of the grill but this night I learned how to be an awesome sushi chef. Everyone knows how much Christian and I love sushi and I have always wanted to learn. We were invited over to a friends for a huge sushi night.
 I have become great friends with my Filipino Neighbor. Everyone always ask if I am Filipino, or Japanese, or mexican or of Polynesian decent.  I take it all as compliment. I love different cultures and diversity. This means I exotic looking right? Anyway, this gal taught us all she knows about making yummy sushi! 
I just love her. 
Here we go.....
-The first thing you need to do to make your own sushi rolls at home is to buy some good quality Japanese rice. Japanese rice is a short grain rice that gets sticky when it's cooked. You can find it in the Asian section of your local grocery store or at Asian markets. Amazon.com is also a good source for Japanese rice.

-Making sushi rolls is much easier if you have a proper rice cooker. To cook the rice, just follow the instructions on the package, or it is typically 2 cups of water for every 1.5 cups of rice. Add some sushi vinegar and stir.

-The key is to keep your fingers really wet so have a small bowl with some water in it so you can dip your fingers while your handling the rice. To begin making the sushi rolls, first allow the rice to cool so it can be handled. Then take a sheet of nori (Japanese seaweed) and lay it down on a sushi rolling mat.

-Spread the sushi rice over the nori in a thin layer. Then add your fillings such as imitation and it can be anything crab meat, smoked salmon, shrimp, fish, ect. Other filling can include thinly sliced vegetables cream cheese, onions, ect, ect. Seriously don't be shy, anything goes.
-You can also make sushi rolls with the rice on the outside of the roll. Just place a sheet of plastic wrap or just put you sushi rolling mat in a zip lock bag, this will make it easier for rolling and washing. and turn the nori with the rice spread on it upside down. Your fillings will then be added to the clean side of the nori.

-After you have spread the rice and added the fillings, use the mat to roll it into a large sushi roll. Tucking and pulling is the key. Squeezing a little tighter every time you roll. Practice make perfect.

-The last step to making sushi is to cut the long sushi roll into 1 to 1.5 inch bite-size sushi rolls. You do this by wrapping the rolls in plastic wrap and then cutting it. You dont have to do that but it makes it easier.

-You can serve them anyway you like and decorate them as you wish. We did spicy mayo and eel sauce, then served it with soy sauce for dipping or wasabi.
And this is how you make homemade Sushi my friends! 
 We had a smorgasbord of yummy food. Homemade egg rolls, Rice Stick Noodles, and my Sweet and Sour chicken. 
Can't wait to do it again sushi style with the Prince Family!
YUM, YUM, YUM! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Cutest Family Ever

Forever in Eternity

Forever in Eternity